Dec 2 (Reuters) – Russian President Vladimir Putin is “open to negotiations” on Ukraine however the West should settle for Moscow’s calls for, the Kremlin mentioned on Friday, a day after U.S. President Joe Biden mentioned he was keen to speak if Putin have been on the lookout for a approach to finish the battle.
* Ukraine’s armed forces have misplaced someplace between 10,000 and 13,000 troopers to this point within the battle towards Russia, presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak informed a Ukrainian tv community.
* Russia’s Defence Ministry and the pinnacle of Ukraine’s presidential administration mentioned the 2 nations had swapped 50 service personnel within the newest prisoner change between the 2 sides.
* Russian rockets pounded neighbourhoods in Kherson knocking out energy within the metropolis the place electrical energy had solely begun to be restored almost three weeks after Russian troops left.
* Ukraine’s armed forces reported heavy shelling of various jap frontline villages close to the town of Bakhmut.
* Kyiv Mayor Vitaliy Klitschko informed residents to replenish on water, meals and heat garments within the occasion of a complete blackout brought on by Russian strikes.
* The Ukrainian authorities will draw up a legislation banning church buildings affiliated with Russia beneath strikes described by President Volodymyr Zelenskiy as mandatory to forestall Moscow having the ability to “weaken Ukraine from inside”.
DIPLOMACY, FOREIGN RESPONSE
* Putin informed German Chancellor Olaf Scholz in a cellphone name on Friday that the German and Western line on Ukraine was “damaging” and urged Berlin to rethink its strategy, the Kremlin mentioned.
* Scholz urged Putin to discover a diplomatic answer to the Ukraine battle as quickly as potential, “together with a withdrawal of Russian troops”, Scholz’s spokesperson mentioned.
* A number of Ukrainian embassies overseas have acquired “bloody packages” containing animal eyes, Ukraine’s international ministry mentioned on Friday, after a sequence of letter bombs have been despatched to websites in Spain together with Ukraine’s embassy in Madrid.
* Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic mentioned on Friday nobody can bypass EU sanctions towards Russia by means of Serbia, which imports all of its gasoline from Russia and its sole oil firm NIS is majority-owned by Gazprom Neft and Gazprom.
* Russian assaults on Ukrainian civilian infrastructure have elevated the associated fee to maintain Ukraine’s financial system going subsequent 12 months, including as much as $1 billion a month to earlier estimates of $3-$4 billion, the pinnacle of the Worldwide Financial Fund informed the Reuters NEXT convention.
* The Worldwide Atomic Vitality Company hopes to succeed in an settlement with Russia and Ukraine to create a safety zone on the Zaporizhzhia nuclear energy plant by the top of the 12 months, the pinnacle of the U.N. atomic watchdog was quoted as saying.
Compiled by Nick Macfie
Our Requirements: The Thomson Reuters Belief Ideas.